Thursday, February 21, 2013

Running at Your Own Pace

By:  Deana Havens

Making Running Stick

About four years ago I had a friend who was looking to get back into shape after having a baby. We were chatting one day and she asked me to join her for a run. I quickly responded with "No...I don't run." She assured me that it would be fun. "We'll run slow," she said, "and talk." So, I agreed and that day changed my life. Over the years before I had tried running. It just never stuck. It was hard and I could never get very far without stopping. I always had this image in my mind of what a runner should be...and I never seemed to fit into that mold. I imagined that it shouldn't be so hard. That I should be able to go out and run a 5k without a problem. And when it was hard, I just gave up. But I was going about it all wrong. I was holding myself to a standard that was unrealistic for me. I was comparing myself to friends who had been running for as long as I could remember. Of course I couldn't compete with them. I needed to set my own goals based on my abilities. The day I realized that, I became a runner.

Don't Get Discouraged
Whether you are a new runner, someone who used to run and is coming back to it, or you are a runner recovering from an injury or having a baby, you may struggle when you first hit the pavement. The most important thing to remember is that you are out there and trying. No matter what your speed or your distance you are still "lapping everyone who is sitting on the couch." If you are new to running you may be easily discouraged (like I was) when things don't go exactly as planned. Don't let those feelings halt your steps. Set some goals for yourself so you can feel your progress as you make it...because as long as you keep running...you will!

Making Your Goals Your Own
Some run to win, some run to relax, and some run to get a break from the everyday. We all run for different reasons. I met a woman the other day who shared her story of how she started running. It started with a trip to the mailbox. She ran to hers, and it was way harder than she thought. But she decided she wouldn't let that stop her. So the next day she ran to the neighbor’s mailbox, and so on, until she was out of her neighborhood and participating in her first 5k. She didn't finish first. She didn't finish fast. She just finished. And that was her goal. When you surround yourself with runners of all abilities it is easy to look around and compare yourself to others. Don't. You are an individual with your own special gifts. Take inventory of those and base your goals on you and your personal bests. Be proud of your results...whether they include placing first in a race or hanging near the rear of the pack. Either way you are doing something great for you...your mind, your body, and your soul.

Where My Running Goals Have Taken Me
As I mentioned earlier, the day I started running changed my life. Since that day I've run 2 full marathons, numerous 1/2 marathons, 10ks, 8k's, and 5k's. I've lost weight, made my heart healthy, found Stroller Warriors and established lifelong friendships with some amazing women and achieved goals that I never even imagined. Every run, every race, every day, lends itself to meeting new goals. Sometimes those goals are to beat a personal best or to succeed at running a new distance, but most of the time they are to go out and enjoy the run.

See you on a run!
Deana
 
Deana Havens is a Marine Corps wife, Mother of 3, and co-coordinater for Stroller Warriors  Camp Lejeune. Deana has authored the Stroller Warriors Guidebook and helped establish new chapters across the world.  Check out her personal blog at http://www.athreeforall.blogspot.com/.



No comments:

Post a Comment