Thursday, March 7, 2013

Mini Warrior on Board

By:  Dusti Coacher

If you have ever been pregnant, you have received your share of unsolicited advice. Can I get an Amen?! One of the most common things that I remember hearing during my first pregnancy was, “No two pregnancies are the same.” Well, after delivering my second baby a month ago, I can attest to that statement. I have now been pregnant twice and the experiences were like night and day.
 
There are several factors that could have made my pregnancies different. I have a girl and a boy, a North Carolina baby and a South Carolina baby, and a summer birth and a winter birth.  But, the biggest difference in my pregnancy experiences to me was my activity level, particularly, how much I ran.
 
During my first pregnancy, I was a full-time student and some might say that I became stagnant with my exercising, but that seems like a negative word, so I will say that I was a little too relaxed. I would go for a walk or a swim occasionally, but that was the extent of my activity. If I ran, it was because I was trying to avoid the rain or a scary animal. (Try not to judge; it was a hot summer in North Carolina and I was nervous to do too much during my first pregnancy. Live and learn, right?!) So, I ended up gaining 60 pounds (yes, you read that correctly), needed oxygen during delivery, and took FOREVER to heal after delivery. I was finally released to exercise eight weeks later. Shortly after that, I discovered Stroller Warriors Camp Lejeune and didn’t slow down since.
 
We were planning to bring Stroller Warriors to Parris Island when I found out that I was pregnant with baby number two. I was already active and running several times a week so I didn’t see any reason to slow down. Fortunately, I had Stroller Warriors to get me out of the house and running, even when I had to excuse myself to be sick. I ran at least twice a week until I was 32 weeks pregnant. I gained a little over 20 pounds and had the easiest delivery.  I went for my first run yesterday at only four weeks postpartum, joining in for day 1 of the Stroller Warriors Couch to 5k program!
 
 
During my second delivery, while monitoring my heart rate, a nurse asked if I was an athlete. I laughed and said no, because I automatically thought of basketball and soccer players. My husband spoke up and said "Yes, she is an athlete, she is a runner." The nurse said, “I can tell, you have an athlete’s heart rate.

Isn’t it funny how doing something that you love can make your life easier in so many ways?
 
As a result of my experiences, I encourage you to speak with your doctor and find the best exercise regimen during your pregnancies. Needless to say, I am an advocate for exercising and RUNNING throughout. I have two happy, healthy children, but my second pregnancy and delivery was definitely more enjoyable than the first.


Dusti Coacher is a Marine Corps wife, Mother of 2, and coordinator for Stroller Warriors Parris Island. This recruit depot requires intense work schedules and puts families under strain.  Dusti identified a need for a positive outlet.  In just 10 short months under her dedicated leadership, SWPI has thrived, growing to over 120 members and making a difference every day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this! I couldn't agree more!! I am actually pregnant with my third child right now and running with SW Camp Lejeune. With my first I was not active at all...small walks with the dog in the evening if I felt like it and I gained about 40 lbs. Then with my second I joined Stroller Strides in San Diego and I was a little more active and my second delivery was SOO much better and I recovered so much faster! This time I have been running at least twice a week and staying as active as possible and I'm hoping this one will be the best one yet! Most women think they have to be so careful and not do anything too strenuous during pregnancy and I wish someone had told me how great it was for me and got me going back during my first pregnancy! Such a positive thing for you, your family, and your life in general! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm chugging along with baby number 4 and making it to the SW Camp Lejeune workouts when I can! This is my first really active pregnancy and actually playing out to be my easiest!

    ReplyDelete