Saturday, March 2, 2013

Stroller Rider to Cycle Warrior

By: Elizabeth Harlow
 
We have reached another corner in our household. My 4-year-old son is ready to be a non-stroller rider! He is getting BIG. (I will pause so that you can shed a few tears for us, me in particular.)
 
This involves more than I initially envisioned when we first bought his new to him 16-inch wheeler. I thought buying the bike would mean I could start running with a single stroller pushing my 2-year-old and he would pedal beside me. Life would be all rainbows and roses! Funny that I (the PE teacher) did not account for the fact he would not want to ride for 4-6 miles. Isn’t that what kids do?!

He did awesome at his first ride. We were at a Stroller Warriors workout with over 100 people in attendance and he rode for three miles. However, I had forgotten to bring him water. How could I have not realized that he would need water? I had some for myself even, which was good so I could share.
 
Lesson #1: Bring a water bottle for new bike rider to the workouts.
 
On his second ride, I realized that hills are a struggle for a new bike rider. I got an arm workout pushing him up each one and still trying to steer the stroller with the other! He ended up riding 3 miles that day too. I remembered water but he was starving after the ride and it was clear his blood sugar had dropped.
 
Lesson #2: Bring new bike rider a recovery snack.
 
Bike ride three happened about two weeks later in our neighborhood. With water and snacks easily accessible, we tackled a 2.5 mile loop. We made it to the end of the street and then the complaining started. He couldn’t do it. He was tired. He needed help. He wanted a drink. His legs hurt. He was hot. What was going on?! He had been riding much further than this. That's when my Bachelor’s degree in physical education kicked in.
 
Lesson #3: Little ones can have sore muscles.
 
Here's a photo of Jack "beating" Miss Stephanie!
We had been sick the prior week so his body was not in the same shape as previously. Also, we were solo instead of at a group workout so he did not have the encouragement from other bike riders and runners. He’s fiercely competitive and needs the motivation of "beating" someone. He also didn't have the incentive of the playground reward at the end. As adults we would not expect ourselves to get on the bike and ride any distance without prior experience. I now realize that I need to practice with him by riding around the block and up and down the street, a couple of times a week to prepare for longer rides.
 
Lesson #4: Even little bodies need to "train" for physical activity.
 
 As both a Mom and a runner my goal has always been to set an example of an active lifestyle for my children. Ever since my oldest was 9 months, we have been involved in a Mommy/baby fitness program like Stroller Warriors. This group has given my children an outlet to be active and participate with me. He loves his new gang of “Mini Cycle Warriors” and looks to the older children as a positive example to emulate.
 
Running with a little guy in tow has been a learning process but I love that we can bring his bike to group runs. So my advice: don’t despair when your older children outgrow the stroller. Remember these lessons to be better prepared and embrace the new opportunity to learn, grow, and enjoy family fitness.
 
Elizabeth Harlow is a Marine Corps wife, Mother of 2, and co-coordinater for Stroller Warriors Camp Lejeune. Elizabeth leads Saturday morning Long Runs and has been instrumental in organizing our "Have to Half" race series, supporting fundraising events, and promoting recruitment and retention.

No comments:

Post a Comment