Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Running for a Reason

By: Stephanie Geraghty

In 6th grade, our P.E. teacher required us to run a mile for the Presidential Fitness Test.  We had to run all the way to the bridge and back again.  It wasn't intended to be a race but that's how I viewed it.  I had no idea what my capability was but I was competitive and I wanted to win.  Nolan would finish first because he was the most athletic boy in the whole class.  But who for the girls?  I willed it to be me.  I remember how ominous that gravel road looked and I seriously thought I would not survive that mile.  Regardless, I raced my heart out and achieved the perfect score I aspired to attain.  The thrill of winning overtook me and drove me for years to come.  On into my high school and college years, I competed because it was something I enjoyed, something I could be successful at, and something I was proud of.  The reason I ran was to improve, compete, and win.
 
As the years passed and I grew older, my reasons for running evolved.  I will always enjoy the competition but I started to see more sides of it.  I added more distance and trained for longer road races.  Training runs became a time to unwind, a time for prayer, a time to foster friendships, and a time to take in God's creation around me.  Come race day, finishing first was not necessary to feel success.  I turned my attention to meeting my own personal goals and not comparing myself to others (like  speedy Nolan!).  Last, but not least, I found myself simply appreciating my health and the fact I can run at all.
 
This past year, our club expanded on another central reason we run: to reach out and fundraise for charitable causes.  We raced and supported a myriad of organizations, including Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy, the Semper Fi Fund, Organization for Autism Research, C.U.R.E Epilepsy, the Onslow County Homeless Shelter,  the Wounded Warrior Project, Toys for Tots, Christmas Cheer, and much more.  These organizations all have different purposes, but one common theme:  they support individuals facing a great obstacle.

My son Cole faces obstacles every day.  He possess a genetic motor neuron disorder called Spinal Muscular Atrophy.  This disease causes his muscles to be weak and atrophied.  Cole is unable to walk independently.  But don't let that fool you.  He's a go-getter and nothing stops him!  As a result, he's made great strides with physical therapy and continues to gain strength.  I can see how hard it is for him just to climb onto the couch or crawl up the stairs, but he wills it to happen.  He wants to "win" just like I did in 6th grade.  I see the same competitive spirit in Cole, expressed in different ways.
 
I listed a lot of reasons that I have ran over the years, but now I run for the most meaningful reason of all. I run in honor of Cole and all individuals that yearn  to walk or run themselves.  I run because I realize it is an ability not to be taken for granted.  I run because I want to emulate the courage and strength they exhibit.
 
Running is mentally taxing and does not come easy to everyone.  But what if you have something so powerful in your mind that you can't let your body fail?  When we run to honor, every step seems lighter.  Just contemplating all they achieve even under great strains incites you to vow, "I can do more too."  By running and supporting their cause, we help uplift and inspire them to forge ahead.  We cannot and will not let them down.  And in turn, they inspire us, tenfold.
 
The Stroller Warriors echo this sentiment.  Members constantly approach us with ideas for events and causes to support. They show so much love and concern for their friends, family, and surrounding community.  We see members run in honor of their parents, grandparents, spouses, children, friends, military service members, and people they have never even met.  They recognize the challenges and see running, racing, and raising funds as a positive outlet to make a difference.  We eagerly abide because the fact is, we LOVE running for a reason.

Next month, our Camp Lejeune chapter will host a 5K/half marathon in honor of my son Cole and Families of SMA.  We're running to remember, raise money, and preserve hope.  Last year we raised over $7,000 for Families of SMA.  Our ultimate goal is even more this year.  Can you help us run for a reason?!
 
 
 
I encourage you to find your own reason to run, be it for Cole, one of the causes I mentioned above, or someone/something else close to your heart. I can promise you that adding this dimension to your running will forever change your outlook and capability. The impossible is suddenly possible when you run for a reason.

THANK YOU and as always, HAPPY RUNNING,
Steph
Stroller Warriors Founder & Camp Lejeune Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment